Why? Cause that's how I like it.
Think of this: there are over 7 billions people in the world. Now, I'm not saying half of them, cause I'm considering families, even if there are more single people than there are families, but let's go with that for the sake of argument, and I'm considering the ones who aren't celebrating Christmas, so I'm just counting 2 billion people. If 2 billion people would chop a tree every single year to put into their homes for Christmas ... every year ... can you imagine how many trees that mean? That's a whole big forest.
Do you know how much time a decent Christmas tree needs to end up looking like that? More than 2 decades (for who doesn't know what that means, it's more than 20 years). More than 20 years, to take it down in minutes and have it displayed in your house for a few days. Then it will dry up, and you will toss it away, and it will be chopped in little pieces, or, in some countries, just left on the side of the streets for weeks, or thrown at the garbage communal whole.
Just stop a second and think of all the animals that are left without a home. You're taking a part of their home, to get inside yours, just to put stuff on it and throw it away at the end.
Am I making sense here? Do you follow me?
The way I see it? It's like going inside someone's house and cutting off a pillar and taking it with you to put it in your house, then toss it away. Am I the only one who understands this? People are complaining that animals are coming too close to their houses in some countries. Where should they go? Those trees were giving them a source of food, and now they lost it. And they are coming to the limit that they once knew it was still their homes.
I think I only had a real Christmas tree, inside my house, maybe two or three times in my life, when I was a child. Cause I had no idea back then what a Christmas tree meant for the forest and for the Planet. I had some vacations spent in the country, and my grandparents had a Christmas tree in the backyard, but we never chopped it. We used to put ornaments on it and let it in the place where he grew. After Christmas we would take them down, and the tree would still be there for next year. And there were years when we would just put ornaments on a usual tree, but not buy a real one to put inside our house.
Since I grew up, I bought a fake Christmas tree that I have for over 12 years now, the same one. And it's beautiful, and big, and with a lot of branches, and it looks way better than the real one. And when Christmas is over I just put it back in the box and have it for next year. And I'm not polluting the air by throwing it away, cause I know it is plastic. Cause I don't need a new one every year, you just need different type of ornaments if you want to make it look different.
So, yes. Christmas can be celebrated differently. Christmas isn't in the tree, but in the feelings you have, the people you celebrate it with, and the traditions you have.
Let's be a bit more conscious of the things we have now. Technology surpasses reality on a lot of things, and it helps protect the Planet and the environment. So let's take advantage of that, and try to create a better place for us. Not necessarily for the next generations, but for us, right now, right this minute.
Stay safe dear friends, and have a beautiful Merry Christmas ... with a fake Tree :)
Photo credit:
If this helped you in any way, you can donate a little something to help me keep going. No amount is too small, but it is deeply appreciated. Thank you :)
Donations : PayPal

No comments:
Post a Comment