The day I learned this, is the day I got free.
I was always the person who used to torment herself after something was happening that I could not control, that I maybe wished I did differently. I was losing sleep, having only that in my mind, thinking of what I should have said, what I should have done, going through all kind of scenarios in my mind.
All that was doing was to make me so much angry and frustrated, because I obviously couldn't change anything. It was done. I couldn't go back. And, sometimes, the more you try to go back to that situation, to the people involved, and explain it, you only end up making it worst. Plus that, sometimes, there just are things that you can't change. You can't change an accident that you had because of a decision you made. You can't catch the train you missed by a second, you have to wait for another one. There are situations where you just can't go back and undo it, cause that doesn't apply to it.
I did my share of bad decisions, of mistakes. I had my share of sleepless nights, of torment, and struggles to accept where those decisions got me. And I kept seeing posts on social media say "you can't change the past", and "you can't control the future". I understood it. But I was having trouble accepting it.
One day, a mistake from my past came to mind, and it was working my mind so hard. I felt how I was getting low because of it. I juts got fed up. Having the same thought over and over again. I got so mad inside, and I told myself (as crazy as that might sound) on a mad tone: "Stop it. Stop doing this. Can you change this?! - No! - Can you do anything about it?! - No! - Then, if you can't go back in time and change it, if you can't do anything to change it, then just stop thinking of it."
If there is something you can change, than go and try changing it. But if there isn't anything you can do, then just leave it in the past. Leave it as it is. Most of the times our past "mistakes" don't even affect us in the present. It only consumes our mind, thinking of it. Don't let it destroy your present too. Learn from it. Don't do it again. But move on now. That is all that you can do.
Just think about it for a minute. Honestly. If there is nothing that you can do, just learn from it, and move on. Don't let it control your mind anymore, and ruin your present.
I'm still telling myself this every time. And when I do get it, and I release it ... how sweet the feeling is :) I feel so free. Because you realize that all the work your mind is doing, isn't able to turn back time and change the past. So, just you move on.
Photo credit:
If this helped you in any way and you found value in it, you can make a donation. No amount is too small, but it is deeply appreciated. Thank you :)
Donations : PayPal

No comments:
Post a Comment